VACANCY – Commodity Trading Manager (Northern Nigeria)
Our client is an award winning, high impact, financially sustainable and highly scalable social enterprise, part-owned by the farmers that they serve in Nigeria. The organisation was created to specifically attract youth to agriculture and away from the looming instability of extremist groups in Nigeria.
Our client has helped smallholder farmers increase their productivity by 2x the national average and profitability by 2.5x to 3x the national average. This social enterprise had grown to become Nigeria’s single largest maize producing entity. Over the past 8 years of its operations, my client has scaled to serve a cumulative of over 65,000 smallholders across 5 Northern states in Nigeria: Katsina, Kano, Kaduna, Bauchi and Plateau states.
We are currently looking for a COMMODITY TRADING MANAGER for our client. She/he will capture commodity price information and produce price assessments for my client in Northern Nigeria.
REPORTS TO – Executive Director, Corporate Services
LOCATION – Northern Nigeria
• Capture commodity price information and produce price assessments
• Develop and expand coverage of aligned commodities
• Develop, expand and maintain sources and contacts relevant to the market area of coverage
• Establish, maintain, and grow customer relationships by engaging customers and learning about their businesses, including their marketing strategy, hedging needs, and the value we can bring to their operations by way of market knowledge and products that best fit their business.
• Presentation of marketing strategies and products to customers, using working knowledge of grain market fundamentals and basis trading principles.
• Timely, accurate contract entry and hedging of all purchases.
• Managing the logistics surrounding grain origination and merchandising.
• Strong communication with fellow merchants and commercial team regarding local market conditions to build merchandising strategies and identify trading opportunities.
• Operating for growth of the company’s brand from both top-line and bottom-line on the company’s Agriculture Marketplace – including P&L responsibilities and day to day operations at the company.
• Building and maintaining a database of customers that shop with the Company’s brand to re target for relevant brands/products
• Build and maintain in-stock rate, pricing, promotions, Q&A and review management
• Managing and resolving customer complaint tickets, cases and ensuring timely resolution.
• Develop and maintain analytics dashboards while working with Business Intelligence central reporting to track and optimize performance
• Closely monitor competitor action and develop strategies to grow market share
• Set weekly targets. Effectively communicate targets effectively to relevant stakeholders, and hold marketing and operations leaders accountable to hitting targets
• Train, coach and direct Marketplace team on merchandise handling, shipment processing, merchandise presentation, and visual techniques as needed
• Make iterative changes to the marketplace infrastructure to ensure success
• Partner with the Enterprise Systems Engineering and Product team on the vision for marketplace operations in the app and ensure the product roadmap supports business needs
• Regularly evaluate the health of the markets, proffer cross-functional solution(s) to enable struggling markets succeed. Also recommend and justify exit if required.
• Operate in a fast-paced, highly fluid environment – think creatively, structure problems analytically, prioritize and effectively use data to drive decisions.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Agric Economics, Marketing or other related fields; Master’s degree preferred
• Broad knowledge in a financial or agricultural field
• Experience: 3 plus years’ experience preferred in a grain merchandising role or 5 years in a similar type of role in purchasing or trading.
• Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written skills; ability to present in a large group setting
• Knowledge of merchandising practices and flexible contract pricing methods
• Analytical; problem-solving; prioritizing; and multi-tasking abilities
• Ability to relate to the needs of the farmers’ work with a wide variety of teams and suppliers; work with numbers.
• Ability to measure impact and benchmark.
• Expert with Excel, PowerPoint, Word and web-based applications
• Highly analytical, organized, detail oriented, communicative and collaborative
• Leadership experience, preferably in managing large network of partners
• Project Management Skills for Financial Projections – Experienced with craft, research, data collection, data analysis and financially efficient means of growing the company’s business and profits
• Thrives in a fast paced, start-up environment with dynamic business priorities.
• Extensive experience leading a complex organization and passion for getting into details to identify root cause of issues and create innovative solutions.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Qualified candidates who are experienced and are resident or ready to relocate to Northern Nigeria should send their CVs to email@example.com
Let the subject of the mail be “Commodity Trading Manager”